For Outgoing Students
The Graduate School of International Studies (GSIS) was established to train international specialists, provide in-depth education, and prepare students for global challenges. In order to equip our students with international experience that will prove invaluable to their future careers, GSIS has instituted several exchange programs with top universities across several continents.
The goals of our exchange program include improving our students' language capabilities, providing students with special cultural and socio-psychological orientation and quality educational training in a uniquely diverse setting, and allowing qualified international exchange students to experience Korea at the top notch university in Korea.
There are two ways of applying for the student exchange programs.
First, you can apply to GSIS student exchange programs.
The list of exchange universities are uploaded on the Exchange Partners page.
The application deadlines are usually in February (for the Fall semester) and in August (for the Spring semester of the next academic year).
Second, you can apply to SNU student exchange programs.
You may find the relevant information regarding the list of universities and application deadlines on the Office of International Affairs website (http://oia.snu.ac.kr
- For Outgoing Exchange Students from GSIS: The date will be notified on official notice.
- Please submit all the required documents to Room 203, Bldg. 140.
- Applicants must have completed at least one semester at GSIS and should be planning to complete at least 2 semesters before going on the exchange program.
- GPA of 3.5 or above (GSIS grades)
- TOEFL score of IBT 94 or above
- Note that some universities may require higher scores than others.
- Students applying to a non-English speaking university may be required the desired language proficiency. But in most cases, English proficiency will be sufficient.
- International students who receive Outside Scholarships, such as the POSCO Asia Fellowship, KT&G Scholarship, GSFS Scholarship, and/or any other scholarships, are not permitted to go on the exchange program. This is due to the fact that most scholarships are granted under the assumption that the recipient will be attending GSIS, SNU for the duration of his/her study.
- Application form: 1 page (GSIS prescribed form)
- Study plan: 1 page (GSIS prescribed form)
- Resume: 1 page (GSIS prescribed form)
- An original copy of GSIS transcript
- An original copy of undergraduate transcript
- A copy of your TOEFL score
- Letter of Recommendation from academic advisor (GSIS prescribed form)
- Declaration of Commitment
* Applicants who have finished their 2nd semester should also submit the following form: “Confirmation of Advisor Approval for Applicants of Exchange Program in their Fourth Semester.”
Applicants are required to submit documents to the Office of International Cooperation (Room 308, Bldg.140).
- Students may obtain a maximum of 12 credits per semester during the exchange program.
- In the case of summer semesters, students may obtain a maximum of 6 credits.
- In principle, one credit amounts to 15 contact hours.
The tuition of the host university will be waived. Instead, GSIS students are required to pay the tuition to SNU in time.
- Outgoing students who have received his/her confirmation for the exchange program MUST submit an Application for Study Abroad Program which can be printed at the SNU Protal site and a Recommendation form for Studying Abroad to the Administration Office.
Students who fail to submit the two forms may not have his/her credit from the host university approved by GSIS.
- Please refer to the Exchange Program Regulations.
- Priority will be given to the students with less international experience.