POSCO Asia Fellowship
The POSCO Asia Fellowship is a scholarship program designed to invite promising Asian graduate students to the Master's and Doctoral Program at the Graduate School of International Studies, Seoul National University (SNU-GSIS), supporting their studies at one of the most prestigious institutions of higher learning in Korea. The fellowship, offered by the POSCO TJ Park Foundation, covers full tuitions for up to 4 semesters at SNU-GSIS and monthly living stipends for two years in Korea.
The POSCO Asia Fellowship Foundation has continued to expand the scope of its social contributions and hopes to provide additional Asian countries with more scholarships in the future. For both the Doctoral and Master’s program at SNU-GSIS, Asian universities are invited to recommend students to the Fellowship.
Fellowships are provided to promote mutual understanding between Asian countries and Korea, and to strengthen professional abilities of elite Asian students. Knowledge sharing projects such as the POSCO Asia Fellowship hope to benefit the different societies, economies, and cultures of the world.
|Number of Selection||Tuition||Duration||Monthly Stipend|
||4 semesters(2 years)
※ Please note that the POSCO Asia Fellowship program only provides tuition and monthly stipend.
The program is NOT responsible for other additional spending such as dormitory, travel expenses, visa fee, books, etc.
You must be able to manage to pay such costs with the monthly stipend the Fellowship provides.
* Students who are entering only in the Fall semester can apply for this scholarship program.
Eligibility for Application
- Applicants must be an Asian national.
- Applicants must meet all of the following requirements:
1) He or she holds a Bachelor's degree.
2) He or she is not a citizen of Korea.
3) His or her parents are not citizens of Korea.
4) He or she does not receive other scholarships.
- One completed Application Form Download
- Two letters of Recommendation from the university the applicants are currently attending in his/her country
- Original TOEFL score report or IELTS score report
* Admission Guide for International Students at SNU
Please observe the following instructions before beginning your application.
Form 1: Application Form
Form 1 contains your personal information. Please specify your desired area of study, using Appendix of this booklet as a reference. Indicate the college or professional school and corresponding major.
Form 2: Recommendation
Two letters of recommendation from the university are required. Complete your part of this form and give it to the professor along with a stamped and addressed envelope. Be sure to give him or her adequate time to complete the forms before the application deadline. A recommendation should be sealed in an official envelope and signed across the back by the professor.
English Language Proficiency Test Scores
Applicants must possess a superior level of English language proficiency.
(Recommended scores of TOEFL IBT 94, CBT 240 / IELTS 6.5 or above)
Please note that only students who will be admitted to GSIS-SNU are eligible for the POSCO Asia Fellowship. To apply for the scholarship, applicants are required to apply for GSIS-SNU and to submit the application forms and documents for the POSCO Fellowship and GSIS-SNU together to the Office of Admissions at Seoul National University. All submitted applications and materials will be thoroughly reviewed by the GSIS SNU faculty and the POSCO Foundation. The applicant must pass through the SNU admissions process.
The exact timeline of your application depends on the admissions schedule of the Office of Admissions. Application for POSCO Fellowship is only possible when you apply for Fall semester. If you plan to apply for Fall semester, you will submit your application to GSIS and the POSCO scholarship around March. For more detailed information, please refer to the SNU Office of Admissions website (http://en.snu.ac.kr/apply/announcements).
Submitting Your Application
- Applicants whose forms and supporting documents are incomplete or unsatisfactory will be disqualified from the admissions process.
- A high volume of web traffic is anticipated on the deadline; completing the application prior to the deadline is highly recommended.
- To apply to GSIS SNU, you need to follow the GSIS application instruction (The POSCO application form is only for scholarship).
When you complete the application process, please submit both of your application for the POSCO fellowship and SNU required application materials to the Office of Admissions at Seoul National University.
- Please refer to the SNU Admission website;
Admission Guide for International Students at SNU (http://en.snu.ac.kr/notice?bm=v&bbsidx=116123)
Office of Admissions
Seoul National University
1 Gwanak-ro, Gwanak-gu
Seoul 151-742, Korea
Important Notes for All Applicants
- All documents should be in English or Korean. Documents in other languages should be accompanied by a notarized English or Korean translation.
- If any of the submitted materials contain false information, admission may be rescinded.
- Original documents should be submitted. Should they be unavailable, copies must be authorized by the originating institution before they are submitted.
- Students whose graduations are pending at other institutions during the time of application should submit their Graduation Certificates and the Certificates of their degrees to their departments within 15 days after the first day of after enrollment at SNU.
- Be sure to make and keep photocopies of all completed forms. Submitted documents become property of SNU and will not be returned to the applicants.
- Admitted students may not defer the enrollment to a later semester. Students who wish to defer enrollment must reapply.
- Please note that SNU issues the Certificate of Admission for VISA application only to admitted students.
Obligations after the Admission
- Participation in a field trip or a round table conference twice a year prepared by the Foundation
- Submission of a report on your activities in Korea in the third semester and a copy of your master's thesis
- GPA of 3.0 or above of 4.3 for each semester to maintain the scholarship.
- POSCO scholarship does not provide monthly allowance if you decide to leave Korea for the last vacation during summer or winter break. POSCO only provides monthly allowance if you stay in Korea.
- If you are receiving POSCO scholarship, you cannot receive a secondary scholarship. If you violate this, you will be asked to pay back one of the scholarships.
Inquiries Regarding Application
For more information about the application or other aspects of the admissions process or POSCO Asia Fellowship Program, please consult the following:
Inquiries Regarding Application
|For Admissions||For POSCO Fellowship program|
|Office of Admissions, SNU
|Office of Int'l Cooperation, GSIS, SNU
Frequently Asked Questions
Q : Can I apply without any certified English proficiency examination record?
Yes, you can apply without any certified English proficiency examination record. However, such records will positively count towards the applicant. It is also better to submit a record even if it does not meet the school standards than not to submit. (Recommended scores of TOEFL CBT 240 / IELTS 6.5 or above)
Q : Can I send my certified English proficiency examination record after the application deadline?
No. All documents including your language proficiency record must arrive before the deadline. All TOEFL and IELTS scores must be sent directly to the Office of Admissions from the test center.
Q : Can I submit photocopied documents?
All documents must be original, except your passport. Any copied documents are not acceptable in any case.
Q : Do I have to submit applications for both the Office of Admissions at SNU and POSCO foundation?
Please submit your application only to Office of Admissions at SNU. SNU will be in touch with POSCO when processing application.
Q : Is there a fee for the POSCO scholarship application?
No, however, all applicants must pay for the application fee for SNU.
Q : What happens if I succeeded in getting the POSCO scholarship but failed to qualify for SNU admissions?
Your status as a POSCO scholarship student will be canceled automatically. To receive the POSCO scholarship, you must be admitted to SNU.
Q : Can I be considered as a candidate for the POSCO scholarship program if I was admitted to SNU with high credentials, even though I did not apply for the POSCO scholarship program?
No. To receive the POSCO scholarship, you must apply for the POSCO scholarship program.
Q : What happens if I fail to submit the official document indicating parent-child relationship between me and my parents?
To be admitted to SNU through the admissions program for foreigners, you must submit the official document. Absence of such documentation can result in deferment of admissions to SNU.
Q : I am expected to graduate in Fall 2013. But our school does not issue an official report for expected graduates. What should I do?
You can consult your academic advisor to make you a copy of the document and submit it. Such a document must include the date of your expected graduation. You will be expected to submit a final copy of official report after you enter SNU.
Q : Do I have to submit the documents to GSIS directly or through the Office of Admissions at SNU?
You should be submitting the documents to the Office of Admissions. Because you are supposed to send all the documents to the Office of Admissions, GSIS cannot confirm whether you have any missing documents. If you have any missing documents, the Office of Admissions will contact you and you must send the documents within a week to supplement your application.
Q : If I fail to receive the POSCO scholarship, will my GSIS admissions process also be canceled?
No. Your SNU application will still go through the admissions process.
Q : When will the exact schedule be released?
The POSCO scholarship program follows the SNU admissions schedule. For the admission timeline, please refer to the following website. (http://en.snu.ac.kr/apply/graduate/timeline)
Q : Is application fee needed for POSCO scholarship program?
No. You have to pay for application fee only for SNU online in the process of applying as an international student.
Q : As for the application form for Seoul National University, there are 2 recommendation letters to be completed and there are 2 more for the POSCO fellowship. Do the letters have to be from 4 different professors?
No, you have to submit only 2 recommendation letters with the form of POSCO Asia Fellowship. Even though the form from POSCO Asia Fellowship and from Seoul National University does not have exactly the same format, those 2 recommendation letters are accepted to the SNU application process.